Monday, February 16, 2009

2 weeks.

Here I am, two weeks to the day before I leave for Haiti. I have this picture in my head of what to expect, and I expect my arrival to be nothing like I have pictured. When I first decided to volunteer at God's Littlest Angels (GLA), it was well over 6 months ago. I stressed about the shots I'd need, taking time off work, and fitting all my hand sanitizer/liquid into a small plastic bag.

Why Haiti? so many have asked. Well, why not Haiti. I cant believe that just 90 minutes outside Miami is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. When I imagine the Caribbean in my head, the beautiful white sand beaches, port shopping and Duffys Love Shack, I think, what happened to Haiti? I know I cant do everything, but I am going to try do everything that I can.

I have been following the blog of Susan Westwood, a 6 month volunteer from Scotland. We will miss each other by just days. Her blog has kept me inspired and introduced me to the babies and challenges that await me at GLA. I read about the outbreak of chickenpox, the loss of a child, and the stomach flu. I still find myself thinking, "I cant wait". Whenever I am having a bad day, or catch myself stressing about the small stuff, the superficial things, I cant help but read the blog and watch youtube videos about GLA , and it instantly puts everything into perspective for me.

Volunteering in New Orleans a few months after Hurricane Katrina had an everlasting impact on my life, and I think about the experience all the time. We were in the lower 9th ward, sleeping on cots in an old warehouse, and at the time, we had it good. Looking around it was clear that those who had the least to lose had lost it all. My sister recently visited New Orleans, to the same parish I was just years earlier. She told me that a volunteer she had met returns to the Parish every year on his birthday, because it restores in faith in humanity. This comment stuck with me.
When I hear about Haiti, when I see pictures, read news stories, I cant help but wonder...how is this happening to human beings. Does living on a different continent, having a different leader, or different culture make them any less human than those in New Orleans? Some look at other countries and say, "its not our problem" or, they can "pull themselves up by their bootstraps." I take a step back and think of the Clinton Foundation motto, "Our World, Our Responsibility." Is it? Haitians dont even have boots to pull themselves up. I cant help but wonder/its too early to tell, if this trip will restore my faith in humanity, or destroy it.

No comments: