Thursday, February 19, 2009

Details

I'm going where? I'm doing what?? Something with babies..? (Uncle Bebo: Babysitting)
I am glad so many of you know me well enough to know about my obsession with the beach and warm weather, however, this isn't a beach trip or a relaxing vacation. ;-)

I am going (independently/not through a Church or anything) to volunteer at God's Littlest Angels (GLA), a non-profit Christian orphanage located in the Kenscoff Mountains of Haiti, about 45 minutes outside of Port-au-Prince.

I got some GREAT NEWS yesterday!! I received an email letting me know that there will be two couples on the same flight as me, two sets of adoptive parents! How awesome is that! I will be meeting up with them in Miami and will get to witness them meeting their children at GLA. They have my email so I am waiting for hear from them.

For those of you who don’t know, I can be pretty cold-hearted/unemotional (I do believe some referred to me “the robot” during
Quest) ;-) haha, I am just not a crier, at no fault of my own, and it takes a lot to get to me. However, there is a key exception: when others are crying tears of genuine happiness, well, then, start the water works, it gets me every time. Yes, Sunday nights it is not uncommon for tears to form on commercial breaks “Coming up, on Extreme Makeover Home Edition.”…. yeaaaaaa. Wish me luck w/the adoption haha. I am going to be “that” volunteer.So, Back to GLA - Below is a short video and here is a link to their website: www.glahaiti.org



A little about Haiti:
Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, with most people earning less than 1$ a day.“Drinking water usually comes from a polluted river, a ditch or open pond. Food is so scarce and expensive that most Haitian children receive less nutrition than the average American house pet.”
The State Department has a … not so welcoming traveling warning up for the country as well.
CNN video - Haiti.


No comments: