Saturday, June 15, 2013

Allow me to jump in here for a moment

This is PJ typing now. Kristen had asked me to do an entry on the blog while we were here, she seemed convinced that people may want my perspective as well. Having never blogged before I am not too sure how to go about this so read at your own risk: it may get choppy and convoluted up ahead. My goal is to put my thoughts and feelings down in a clear and concise manner, but we'll see how it goes...let's proceed:

1. It is hot. Everyone here knows it is hot and all of you know it is hot.because we have made sure to tell you exactly how hot it is. That being said we are still the fortunate ones. We are in a home with plenty of windows for the breeze to pass through and fans for every bed as well during the night. I am truly thankful for that luxury.

2. Poverty. It is sprawling and intense and upsetting to see. I knew going into this trip that I would not do well with it. I couldn't put a finger on it but something inside my head told me "you aren't ready, you will never be ready." I expressed that feeling to Kristen and she confirmed that I was right. There is no way to prepare for it: it exists and it is very real. And it is sad. I hate sounding "preachy" but I truly thank God for how lucky I am. 

3. I feel ashamed. I knew the county of Haiti was poor and I fully expected to see worn down people trudging up and down the street, wearing dirty clothes, an overall sense of sadness hovering above the land and the people. I was wrong. The people are not worn down. They are not in dirty clothes.And they are not sad. From the maternity center to the sewing school to the orphanage to the street every single person I saw was put together nicely, had clean clothes and walked with a pride and self respect that honestly shocked me. The people laughed and chatted, the children played and ran and jumped. I don't know why I assumed so little about the Haitian people. I was wrong, and for that I feel ashamed.

4. I marvel at the passion of the people we have met. Whether their actions are driven by a faith in God or as a practical response to a problem the world is facing, they (including my wife) have passion in what they are doing. It is beautiful to see.

5. As I sit here typing a Haitian man who works at the guesthouse is outside sweeping the driveway and lawn area. He, along with all other Haitians across the country who are lucky enough to find a job, work 9 hours a day for 6 days a week. That is the norm., and it is impressive.
 
6. A new group of volunteers is scheduled to arrive shortly. We don't know who they are or where they are coming from, but are excited to meet them. The past few days have been great getting to sit around in the evening and talk with people I would have otherwise never met. I hope the next few nights before I leave will bring much of the same joy.

7. Kindness is all around. Kristen and I have noticed and reported to each other many acts of kindness that people have performed for one another without fanfare or attention. Say a "thank you" prayer for these people, they deserve it.

I don't want to write "will explain more later" or "until next time" because chances are I won't blog again while here. If I am being honest I'd have to say I feel silly having written this much. If you've made it all the way to the end of the post I'm sorry to tell you there is no prize. Except for maybe the fact that the next time you check back in to "keep up" you will be doing so with Kristen. 

On that note let me wish  very public thank you to my wife. While I can't say I would've never made to Haiti without her in my life, I'm pretty sure she is the reason I am here. And while this is certainly her passion and not mine, I am forever grateful she has shared it with me

No comments: