Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ground adventures

This morning Melissa and I ran a few errands for the guesthouse. We went to fill the car with gas, get a few things of diesel and stop by the market for food. Who knew simple everyday tasks could be such an adventure!! Melissa, effortlessly beautiful and petite is unexpectedly brave as well. She can drive through the crazy roads, can be firm in 2 languages - and they all listen, and her bargaining skills at the tin market were very intimidating! :)  The gas attendant was very friendly. I actually understood him (Creole) as he told Melissa and I about his 2 year old daughter and wife named Anne Marie. He brought out his wallet to show us photos of them as the tank filled. The inside of the gas station and around it was heavily guarded by Haitian police (??). I counted 6 assault rifles within about 100 ft of the car. Next stop was the Deli Mart. You would think things would be less expensive in Haiti, but I was shocked at how costly it was. It was similar to other islands in the Caribbean. That too was heavily guarded. Everyone we encountered was very friendly and everyone everyone seemed to know Melissa. It was so interesting to think of how Americans sometimes take for granted the safety and convenience of everyday tasks.

Next stop was the tin market! We had a list of things to buy to restock the guesthouse gift shop with. We got our driver, TJ, to go with us/drive us. TJ by the way ran track at Baylor so obviously PJ and I bonded with him over RG3. The tin market was such a fun experience!! I stood back as Melissa bargained them down and bought a few things for myself. One of the guys who's shop we stopped in was proud as he told us he had a picture with Bill Clinton when he came to shop at the tin market. He had some huge pieces of furniture made from tin. I took a lot of pictures today!!!  Later on all of the pieces we bought will be priced and barcoded for purchase by the guests, and the money from the mark up will go toward other Heartline projects.

Tonight is my last night in Haiti. Time has flown by! We are still without water, so I am looking forward to a long airport hotel shower in Miami tomorrow afternoon. I am already planning my next trip back. It was a completely different experience than last trip, and I value them both equally. I met some great people I plan to keep in touch with as I did last trip. I am also looking forward to keeping up with the progress of Heartline's ongoing projects and finding more ways to support them from home. This will most likely be my last post in Haiti.  I can not wait to come back to this country ... who's with me!!?? :) :) :)







No comments: