Saturday, March 14, 2009

Fort Jacques


Today we spent the day painting at Fort Jacques, GLA's new property. The place is amazing! The whole thing won't be finished for another 10 years, hopefully less depending on finances. It includes the guest houses, volunteer houses, Huge main house, storage area, chapel, and school. I can also now go ahead and add "Painter" to my resume. The view from the property was gorgeous...a great view of the ocean and all of Port-au-Prince. It is about 20 minutes or so from here, but I love the crazy bumpy car rides, taking in as much of the country as I can. I am always amazed to see how much the women can balance on their heads, and see the sharp difference in the wealthy and those in extreme 3rd world poverty.

This morning I had the pleasure of the pig slaughter alarm clock for the last time. After painting, we stopped next door to well... eat some of the pig. I'm ashamed to say it was delicious.

I'm still covered in paint. We have been without water, so I fished my own water (ok, I watched someone show me how to...) and bucket showered. and of course, guess what JUST arrived .. a water truck.
It was a great weekend and I'm sad its my last. Last the night, the volunteers baked snickerdoodles, selected a snuggly baby and curled up on the couch for a movie night.


1 comment:

Chris Burch said...

Wow you've done and experienced so much. I'm trying to keep up haha. I'm sure these memories will last a lifetime. Keep the posts coming. p.s.-the pics you are posting are amazing