Friday, March 20, 2009

Home sweet home.

I am home safe!! I have mixed reactions about being harshly thrown back into real world America. First of all… apparently there was a daylight savings time?? I was completely exhausted arriving home and then thoroughly confusing comparing clocks; When I left, Haiti was the same time, but, I returned and there’s an hour difference? Haiti is too cool to honor daylight savings, so the mystery was solved. I also was all caught up on the news, I was correct, the economy is still struggling.

I took about a 2 hour shower and slept sooo good in my what seemed to be extra large comfy bed. It was eerily quiet and I felt so alone … where were the neighborhood animals and 5 amazing people in the surrounding bunkbeds? I woke up this morning, put on a suit, got on metro and got my coffee as if nothing had changed. I felt out of place on the metro escalator, thinking that just hours ago I had such a different life, and how different my life from now on will be because of it.

For breakfast I had my bagel (extra cream cheese) but I missed my Marshmellow Dreams...even if I killed the occasional roach while eating them. My office was sooo great and supportive of my trip that they threw me a welcome back party! I am so fortunate! Co-workers have asked about the trip, and I thought I’d be speechless, at a loss for words how to explain what I saw, heard, smelled and felt; turns out, I’m full of stories and can’t get my Haitian experience out of my head. I want to tell everyone to go and volunteer, to send money for the new orphanage, to pray for the safety of everyone there (especially this Saturday when they take a trip to Bai D’Orange)…I want to tell CNN to stop airing the bad stuff and show what a beautiful country Haiti is and how amazing the people/culture are.

As far as my health…so far so good! I am going to consult with a doctor in the morning just to be safe, especially after it was recommended I take anti-parasite/worm medicine as a precaution. I will take anything as a precaution, but as of now, no scabies, bug bites/malaria, chicken pox, or infections to report.

It was an amazing trip and life changing experience. Thanks again to everyone who made it possible. Below is a video I took of what it was like walking into the big nursery ... 1/2 this kids were outside so it was actually pretty quiet :-) Its where I left pieces of my heart...

No comments: