Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Rain Dance

I dont even know where to start. I'd say, 'words cant even describe', but, that would defeat the purpose of a blog...
Let me start by saying - HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!! :-) I'm glad we got to celebrate before I left!

Last night, I showered in the rain, literally, took shampoo and stood under a stream. There was a huge rainstorm. The rain made small rivers out of the roads and we joked about taking a mattress and going white water rafting. I could only imagine the devastation that the hurricanes caused! There is a shower, but the water was just as cold as the rain, and I figured, when in Haiti right! :-)
Yesterday flew by! I was given 8 babies, and 8 hours in my work day to spend an hour with each of them. I was given a picture and short description of each of them, along with suggestions on what to work with them (first steps...motor skills...using certain hands...things like that). I cant wait to get to know and bond with each of them. The volunteers (there are 5 others girls about my age) here and we take our babies to the balcony. The view is amazing! Afterwards, we set dinner and sat around a huge table for a dinner. My first meal was a turkey soup and fresh bread and watermelon.
The toddler house, where the volunteers stay is a bit up the road from the nursery where we work. It sooorta feels like summer camp! :-) Double bunk beds, one bathroom. Last night we all got to know eachother and watched a movie after dinner. Some of the girls have been here a few days, others a few months.
I was told to bring earplugs for "neighborhood animals", which, was a little confusing until last night... Rooooosters, cows (one is having calfs by the way..), goats, and I was told on Saturday, to listen for the pig thats being slaughtered. Then, the toddlers this morning added to the noise. Needless to say, sleep was rough! But, I am sooo excited to head down to the nursery and spend the day with my babies! I'll let you know how my first day goes. Wish me luck!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Honey- So proud of you and thinking goods thoughts for you. A trip of a life time- you are a great person...enjoy and keep blogging- its great to read! (AND PS- Jason ended up with Molly, who is my favorite. But the way it happend....ick!)

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you little! Sounds like the trip has gotten off to a great start! Your 8 babies must adore you :-)

Can't wait for updates. Stay away from the roosters and don't get too attached to the pig hehe

Chris Burch said...

You...caring for 8 babies in Haiti..wow. haha If anyone can do it you can. good luck..hope sleep comes easier for you. be safe :)